Monday, April 1, 2013

Don't be a slave to the Scoreboard

I'll be the first to admit I slip into a mini depression after a loss and let my immediate reactions and emotions be controlled be the scoreboard outcome (this is why I am a big advocate for holding post game comments until the next day).  This is something I hope to improve on in the coming seasons.  I want our program to play to a standard.  Several of our games came down to the last few possessions.  Its easy to think logically outside of the moment and see that we didn't necessarily play well if we made a shot at the buzzer to win a game by one or played bad if we missed the shot at the buzzer to lose by one. In both of those situations I've always found there are positives to build from and corrections to be made.  Early in my career I focused only on the negative plays whether we won or lost.  All film sessions I would use one mistake after the next as examples of where we can play better, but left out the positive plays.  I'm still a ton more focused on the areas we can improve, but trying to incorporate some positive plays as well in our film sessions.  I have 2 intentional thoughts for helping you incorporate good plays in your film sessions:

1 - group all similar plays together.  For example, I now clip every opponent baseline out of bounds play (BLOB) together followed by all of our BLOBs.  This allows us to concentrate on our execution in one aspect of the game before moving on to another one and it will contain clips of times we executed well along with the negative plays I used to only clip out.

2 - have highlite films.  Late in the season we have 2 film sessions on every team if we have already played them.  The first is more of a traditional film session reminding us of who they are, what they do well, adjustments we can make, etc. The next is entirely positive clipped plays that we show just before pre-game warmups.  I think it helps players to see themselves playing well and gives them energy and confidence just before taking the floor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home