Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Playing with 2 Fouls




Trey Burke sat most of the 1st half in foul trouble.  I'm sure Coach Beilein is being 2nd guessed this morning for not playing the national player of the year with 2 fouls in the first half.  I'm not sure it would have made a difference as his replacement shot lights out and could not have played better during that stretch, but the issue I want to bring up is whether or not you will play your guys with 2 fouls in the 1st half.  I think its important to have a philosophy (whatever it might be) and stick with it.  If Coach Beilein never plays a player in the 1st half with 2 fouls then it is absolutely the right move to sit Burke for the remainder of the first half.  Otherwise players will sense that you as a coach are in panic mode and it will cause their stress level to rise. 

My personal belief is we play play our best players despite 2 fouls in the first half from game 1.  I want my best players to play as many minutes as possible.  Baskets aren't worth more in the final minute of a game.  Lets say a player is going to make it 15 minutes before fouling out.  I would rather get all 15 minutes and let them foul out rather than sit most of the game and kill their rhythm so they can be in for the final minute.

What is your philosophy?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home